Monday, August 18, 2014

Singapore NDP2014 screening season

15 August.

And that wraps the screening of my feature film SAYANG DISAYANG that opened in Singaporeon the eve of its 49th birthday and continued to screen over the National Day period, ie 8-15 August. It was a tremendous experience meeting my attendees at every screening. Thank you so much for your presence and generous feedback. This debut feature filmmaking journey wouldn't have been possible without the gifted cast, dedicated crew and kind friends who kept reminding me why I made SAYANG DISAYANG in the first place. And importantly, You - the audience for your time and support for Singapore-made films. The only way to nurture the growth in homegrown arts is to actually buy that ticket and attend the respective showcase. 

I am privileged to have the opportunity to express the Singapore voice with Cinema. Its reach is universal and the experience is tremendous when I'm able to move another with the human condition. I set out to make a universal story about the Nusantara, of which Singapore is located at its heart. 

I am overwhelmed that SAYANG DISAYANG has attracted a mix of nationalities/ethnicities/demographic at every screening. Many in attendance may not know that the film was filmed in 2009, but was only completed in October 2013. Yet the issues and story are not out of place in August 2014. The film is independently-funded and possibly the 1st Singapore-made film in the Malay language in about 50 years. The spirit of its 6-year filmmaking process truly reflects our resilience as Singaporeans.

I look forward to share this journey again (both in Singapore and overseas). 

For details and updates on SAYANG DISAYANG, please visit the film's FB page regularly. #sayangMovie


No comments: