Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Fathers and sons.

In the chat group, I watched as the brothers discussed, challenged and fretted why their sons are not enlisted into the same Commando unit as their fathers ie the bros… Amused.

I was enlisted into the 1st Commando Battalion. I am a Mat

My family had no connections. My elder brothers were both storemen during National Service. 

Some of these brothers approached their MPs and some ‘pulled strings’ to ensure a place for their sons. Some questioned the system when they failed. 

I’m not sure how I got into this elite unit - although you may waste time to speculate all you want. I was enlisted during in the late 80s when Malay-Singaporean were still being questioned of their loyalty if enlisted in the special units. There have been progress in the intake, ie 1 or 2 Malay boys in ratio of the hundreds of Chinese per intake - but that is for another discussion.

No connections.

Could be a glitch in the matrix 😆

Upon reflection, I love the experience. I am glad to be meeting legends. I made lifelong brothers. Perhaps I was not as kilat during NS as many of the solid brothers there, but I know where I stood to be exceptional. I am still striving to improve myself. And these guys are my constant inspiration to strive for the best at what life throws at me.

Moral of the story - let the system do its work, the rest is up to us how to leverage from it. I don’t enjoy the constant spotlight but through my work enjoy telling the kids success is not black & white.

Ok enough of my sentimentality. My teh masala is staring me in this cool weather.

No comments: