Monday, November 22, 2021

Community engagement

My task is to tell a good story, and tell that story effectively regardless of the circumstances. I have come across many situations where the means to tell the story and its circumstances have not been ideal ie insufficient funding (#1 hindrance), perceived unprofitability due to insufficient demographic support, etc. However these are stories that needed to be told - there is an urgency of the story matter that it is imperative, conversations (sometimes difficult) be raised.

The other challenge is putting together a decent piece of video consisting of senior, elderly folks who have no prior training to acting nor being in front of the video camera. The closest to “acting” they have is noting how well that certain favourite actor can cry on cue or commenting how well the actor can implode with ferocity on soap television.

Nevertheless it has been a privilege to be able to put this video together. A privilege because the process checks on the complacency that I may somewhat have while working with professional actors. It checks on my patience, my professionalism and importantly my discipline as a director. Beyond the task to make everyone “look good”, I need a nudge to check myself why I have eagerly taken up this project in the first place. Having the privilege to work regularly with professional folks who are at the top of their game on a set, then working with non-actors takes me back to when I first started doing what I’m doing. The adrenaline of being this unknown jumping head on into the unknown - colliding, to just wing it and pray that I could turn the challenge into something worth watching is fantastic!

Sometimes it’s not all about the awards or film festivals in filmmaking. You have something to say (it could perhaps be risky), you have the most basic filmmaking gear, and you just shoot it! I encourage other filmmakers to be involved in community projects when you can. The remuneration is little (if any) but the joy is priceless. This project is my little way of getting in touch with the community. I try to get involved in such projects annually.

It was lovely working with the non-trained senior participants who have not only brought me back to that process, but also redefined what it means to be sincere, spontaneous and forgiving when ‘performing’ on set. Also thank you National Arts Council Singapore and Lions Befrienders for being so supportive. A shout out to Darren Guo Euginia Tan for having me on board.

No comments: