Saturday, October 21, 2023

Authenticity

What is authenticity in an age when making films is often about meeting national KPIs and maximising returns? Is one Singapore story less important because it does not qualify for a prestigious film festival, or because it does not get made at all?

I was asked similar questions during the post-screening discussion for PENDEKAR, attended by about 100 very enthusiastic filmgoers. It was overwhelming because PENDEKAR was my Singaporean-Malay-Bawean ode to Nusantara, the broader Malay Archipelago of Southeast Asia. It was commissioned by The Esplanade - Theatres on the Bay.

It was also overwhelming to discuss authenticity because, where I come from, Malay is the national language, English is the main language of communication, and Singapore Malays make up only 13.5% of its residents.

Each of my films reflects my own evolution in social awareness as a Singaporean filmmaker. Much of my work is about deconstructing my identity and questioning mainstream Malay texts.

PENDEKAR became a way for me to discover myself in relation to my fellow Singaporeans, both Malay and non-Malay. More importantly, it explores how this Malay sees himself in relation to his rakan serumpun in Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei, where Malay culture forms a dominant part of the respective national identities.

It is also about reclaiming my identity and telling my story in my own way before someone else hijacks my cultural narrative.

Am I less Malay because I do not speak much of the language or subscribe to accepted Malay norms? Is there such a thing as an absolute Malay or an absolute Malayness, even in a Malay-dominant country?


The festival had actually provided me with a Malay-translator but I deliberately spoke in my best Melayu during the session out of respect for the film festival. It was a privilege to be in Jambi, literally at the heart of the Nusantara Malay Archipelago. It was also an opportunity to discover just how much of a Malay I am.

I even threw the question back to the audience and asked how “Malay” PENDEKAR felt through its visual cues and mise-en-scène. 😅

Terimakasih kepada semua komunitas sineas yang hadir, harap senang dengar aku bicara tentang PENDEKAR dalam bahasa filem yang tidak pernah aku lakukan sebelum ini 🙏🏽







No comments: